Sunday, November 27, 2011

Back on Track - early journeys in digital storytelling

Special visitors came to the Cassowary Coast after Cyclone Yasi to see how people doing - this is what happened when they went to one local school.

Features - Graeme Connors (country singer), Robert Rose(basketballer), and Brendan Porter (Australian Rotary Health), Feluga State School, Julie Headlam.

This is one of my recent video documentaries.

I have been captivated by the art of editing, camera work and storytelling. Initially editing was hard yakka, but I kept at it. I looked up tutorials, asked questions and played with the programs until I became more proficient and even developed a little of my own style.

I have previously dabbled in script writing, done the In the Bin weekend workshop and written playscripts, but the thing I love about digital storytelling is it's accessability, low cost and simplicity to use once you get the basics down. It has helped having the abcopen people and other digital storytellers to encourage and give me pointers with my work.

I have learnt the most important thing is the story you have to tell, and your passion and connection to the people it is about. The tools to convey that to others can be mastered relatively quickly if you want to tell that story.


(c) June Perkins, all rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment